Effective: August 1, 2023
When you use these services, you’ll share some information with us. So we want to be upfront about the information we collect, how we use it, how it’s shared, and the controls you have.
Information We Collect
There are three basic categories of information we collect:
- Information you provide.
- Information we get when you use our services.
- Information we get from third parties.
Here’s a little more detail on each of these categories.
Information You Provide
When you interact with our services, we collect information that you provide to us. For example, many of our services require you to set up an account, so we’ll need to collect a few important details about you, such as your name, username, email address, phone number, and date of birth. We may also ask you to provide us with some additional information that will be publicly visible on our services, such as a profile picture. And if you’re using our commerce products to buy something, we may ask for your payment information, like a debit or credit card number and associated account information.
Of course, you’ll also provide us with whatever information you send through our services, such as Posts and Chats, photos generated, Public Profile information, and more. Keep in mind that the users who view your Posts and Chats and any other content can always save that content or copy it outside the app. So, the same common sense that applies to the internet at large applies to our services as well: don’t send messages or share content that you wouldn’t want someone to save or share.
When you contact Support or communicate with us in any other way, we’ll collect whatever information you volunteer or that we need to resolve your question.
Information We Get When You Use Our Services
When you use our services, we collect information about which of those services you’ve used and how you’ve used them. We might know, for instance, that you saw a particular post, like certain kinds of post more, saw a specific ad for a certain period of time, and sent a few Posts. Here’s a fuller explanation of the types of information we collect when you use our services:
- Usage Information. We collect information about your activity through our services. For example, we may collect information about:
- how you interact with our services, such as which Styles you view or apply to Posts, which Posts you view, or which search queries you submit.
- how you communicate with other Can of Soup users, such as their names, the time and date of your communications, the number of messages you exchange with your friends, which friends you exchange messages with the most, and your interactions with messages (such as when you open a message or we detect that you capture a screenshot).
- Content Information. When you use our services, you may engage with the camera or creative tools and create and share various types of content. We collect information about content you create or provide on our services, and your engagement with the camera and creative tools. For certain content, this may include information based on the content of the image, video, and audio.
- Device Information. We collect information from and about the devices you use. For example, we may collect:
- information about your hardware and software, such as the hardware model, operating system version, device memory, advertising identifiers, unique application identifiers, apps installed, unique device identifiers, device usage data, browser type, keyboards installed, language, battery level, and time zone;
- information from device sensors, such as accelerometers, gyroscopes, compasses, microphones, and whether you have headphones connected; and
- information about your wireless and mobile network connections, such as mobile phone number, service provider, IP address, and signal strength.
- Device Phonebook. Because our services are all about communicating with friends, we may — with your permission — collect information from your device’s phonebook, such as your contacts and related information.
- Camera, Photos, and Audio. Many of our services require us to collect images and other information from your device’s camera, photos, and microphone. For example, you won’t be able to send posts or scan your face unless we can access your camera or photos.
- Location Information. When you use our services we may collect information about your location. With your permission, we may also collect information about your precise location that includes methods such as GPS signals.
- Log Information. We may also collect log information when you use our website, such as:
- details about how you’ve used our services;
- device information, such as your web browser type and language;
- access times;
- pages viewed;
- IP address;
- identifiers associated with cookies or other technologies that may uniquely identify your device or browser; and
- pages you visited before or after navigating to our website.
- Other information, with your permission. There may be instances when you interact with our services that we will ask your permission to collect additional information.
Information We Collect from Third Parties
We may collect information about you from other users and third parties. Here are a few examples:
- We may obtain information from advertisers, app developers, publishers, and other third parties. We may use this information, among other ways, to help target or measure the performance of ads.
- If another user uploads their contact list, we may combine information about you from that user’s contact list with other information we have collected about you.
- If you provide us with your contact information, we may use that information and information obtained from third parties to determine if we can communicate with you on other messaging platforms.
- We may receive information from third parties, including website publishers, social network providers, law enforcement, and others, about potential violators of our Terms of Service.
How We Use Information
What do we do with the information we collect? The short answer is: we use it to provide you with an amazing set of products and services that we relentlessly improve. Here are the ways we do that:
- develop, operate, improve, deliver, maintain, and protect our products and services.
- provide, personalize, and improve our advertising services, ad targeting, and ad measurement, including through the use of your content and precise location information (again, if you’ve given us permission to collect precise location information), both on and off our services.
- add context to your Can of Soup experience and the content of your photo or video.
- develop and improve our algorithms and machine learning models, including for personalization, advertising, augmented reality, fairness and inclusivity, and to prevent abuse or other Terms of Service violations.
- conduct research to better understand Can of Soup users and general consumer interests and trends, including the ways our services are used.
- use information you provide to communicate with you on other messaging platforms.
- enhance the safety and security of our products and services.
- verify your identity and prevent fraud or other unauthorized or illegal activity.
- use information we’ve collected from cookies and other technology to enhance our services and your experience with them.
- enforce, investigate, and report conduct violating our Terms of Service and other usage policies, respond to requests from law enforcement, and comply with legal requirements.
- send you communications, including by email, SMS, or other messaging platforms, where permitted. For example, we may use email, SMS, or other messaging platforms to respond to support inquiries or to share information about our products, services, and promotional offers that we think may interest you.
- monitor and analyze trends and usage.
How We Share Information
Why do we share the information we collect? Most of the time, it’s because you ask us to. Sometimes we share it because we need to. Here are the ways we may share information about you:
- With other Can of Soup users. We may share the following information with other Can of Soup users:
- information about you, such as your username, name, and photos.
- information about how you have interacted with our services and content you’ve engaged with, such as your Can of Soup followers, the names of Can of Soup users you are friends with, how close you are with your friends on Can of Soup, whether you’ve recently been active on Can of Soup, your recent location history (if you choose to share your precise location), and other information that will help Can of Soup users understand your connections with others using our services. For example, because it may not be clear whether a new friend request comes from someone you actually know, we may share whether you and the requestor have Can of Soup friends in common or are in the same area.
- information about your device, such as the operating system and device type, to help you receive Chats, Can of Soup posts, and other content in the optimal viewing format.
- any additional information you have directed us to share. For example, Can of Soup will share your information when you connect your Can of Soup account to a third-party app, and if you share information or content from Can of Soup to the third-party app.
- content you post or send. How widely your content is shared depends on your personal settings and the type of service you are using. For example, a Can of Soup Chat direct message may be sent to just a single friend you select, but your Can of Soup posts may be seen by any user you allow to see your profile.
- With all Can of Soup users, our business partners, and the general public. We may share the following information with all Can of Soup users as well as with our business partners and the general public:
- public information like your name, username, profile pictures, and Public Profile.
- Public Content that are set to be viewable by Everyone, and any content that you submit to an inherently public service, like the Discovery Feed and other crowd-sourced services. This content may be viewed, used, and shared by the public at large both on and off our services, including through search results, on websites, in apps, and in online and offline broadcasts.
- With our affiliates. We may share information with entities within the Emittance Inc. family of products.
- With third parties. We may share information with third parties in the following ways:
- We may share information about you with service providers who perform services on our behalf, including to facilitate payments and measure and optimize the performance of ads and deliver more relevant ads, including on third-party websites and apps.
- We may share information about you with business partners that provide services and functionality on our services.
- We may share information about you, such as device and usage information, to help us and others prevent fraud.
- We may share information about you for legal, safety, and security reasons. We may share information about you if we reasonably believe that disclosing the information is needed to:
- comply with any valid legal process, governmental request, or applicable law, rule, or regulation.
- investigate, remedy, or enforce potential Terms of Service violations.
- protect the rights, property, or safety of us, our users, or others.
- detect and resolve any fraud or security concerns.
- We may share information about you as part of a merger or acquisition. If Emittance Inc. gets involved in a merger, asset sale, financing, liquidation or bankruptcy, or acquisition of all or some portion of our business to another company, we may share your information with that company before and after the transaction closes.
- Non-personal information. We may also share with third parties that provide services to us or perform business purposes for us aggregated, non-personally identifiable, or de-identified information.
How Long We Keep Your Information
We store information for long periods of time. For example:
- We store your basic account information — like your name, phone number, and email address — and list of friends until you ask us to delete them.
- We store location information for different lengths of time based on how precise it is and which services you use.
If you ever decide to stop using Can of Soup, you can just ask us to delete your account. We’ll also delete most of the information we’ve collected about you after you’ve been inactive for a while!
Keep in mind that, while our systems are designed to carry out our deletion practices automatically, we cannot promise that deletion will occur within a specific timeframe. There may be legal requirements to store your data and we may need to suspend those deletion practices if we receive valid legal process asking us to preserve content, if we receive reports of abuse or other Terms of Service violations, or if your account, content created by you, or content created with other users is flagged by others or our systems for abuse or other Terms of Service violations. Finally, we may also retain certain information in backup for a limited period of time or as required by law.
Control Over Your Information
We want you to be in control of your information, so we provide you with the following tools.
- Access, Correction, and Portability. You can access and edit most of your basic account information right in our apps. You can also use Download My Data to obtain a copy of information that isn’t available in our apps in a portable format, so you can move it or store it wherever you want. Because your privacy is important to us, we will ask you to verify your identity or provide additional information before we let you access or update your personal information. We may also reject your request to access or update your personal information for a number of reasons, including, for example, if the request risks the privacy of other users or is unlawful.
- Revoking permissions. In most cases, if you let us use your information, you can simply revoke your permission by changing the settings in the app or on your device if your device offers those options. Of course, if you do that, certain services may lose full functionality. For promotional emails and messages sent by SMS or other messaging platforms, you may opt out by clicking on the unsubscribe link or similar mechanism as provided.
- Deletion. While we hope you’ll remain a lifelong Can of Soup user, if for some reason you ever want to delete your account, you may do so.
- Advertising Preferences. We try to show you ads that we think will be relevant to your interests. If you would like to modify the information we and our advertising partners use to select these ads, you can do so in the app and through your device preferences.
- Tracking. For users who run devices with iOS 14.5 or more recent, some specific requirements apply.
- Communicating with other Can of Soup users. It’s important to us that you stay in control over whom you communicate with. That’s why we’ve built a number of tools in Settings that let you indicate, among other things, who you want to see your profile, make photos of you, whether you’d like to receive messages from just your friends, your friends and contacts, or all Can of Soup users, and whether you’d like to block another Can of Soup user from contacting you again.
International Data Transfers
We may collect your personal information from, transfer it to, and store and process it in the United States and other countries outside of where you live. Whenever we share information outside of where you live, when we are legally required to do so, we make sure an adequate transfer mechanism is in place. We also make sure any third parties we share information with have an adequate transfer mechanism in place, as well.
State and Region Specific Information
You may have specific privacy rights in your state or region. For example, in the United States, residents of California and other states have specific privacy rights. Can of Soup users in the European Economic Area (EEA), the UK, Brazil, the Republic of Korea, and other jurisdictions also have specific rights.
Our services are not intended for — and we don’t direct them to — anyone under 13. And that’s why we do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under 13. In addition, we may limit how we collect, use, and store some of the information of users under 18. In some cases, this means we will be unable to provide certain functionality to these users.